Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Weekend Getaway.


A wine vineyard……





In Long Island?


When one thinks of Long Island, the word vacation doesn’t exactly come to mind, or as I would put it, “it’s nothing to write home about”. However, this past weekend I went to Long Island to stay with my boyfriend’s family and learned there’s a lot to love. We spent Saturday going pumpkin picking at White Post Farms in Melville and six pumpkins, one pie, one bag of popcorn, one box of fudge and one loaf of banana bread later, I was full and exhausted to say the least. We spent the night carving pumpkins; which I of course thought came out amazing.

 (Mine is second from the left which I mimicked the carving from my previous post).

The next day however, is when I realized that LI has a lot more to offer than I first expected. My boyfriend decided to drive me up to the North Folk region of Long Island also known as, “The Wine Country of Long Island”. We spent the afternoon doing wine tastings at three different vineyards: Paumanok, Macari and Shinn. Each vineyard had something wonderful and distinct about it. I was apprehensive at first since I assumed wine tasting can be rather expensive, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it ranges from $9 - $15 for three to five tasting glasses.

A little insight on each vineyard:

Paumanok: Beautiful outdoor seating. Perfect for a small group gathering. Most of the visitors had brought cheese and crackers and sat enjoying the warm sun and delicious wines.


Macari: Largest of the three. Better for a large group or party. You cannot bring your own food, however they sell cheese, crackers and some meats for you to snack on when sitting on their enormous deck while watching the sunset.


Shinn: Smallest of the three with limited outdoor seating. Also, this is the newest of the three vineyards. It has a very cozy cottage type building for you to sit and enjoy your wines. Due to the limited space don’t be surprised to find yourself drinking amongst strangers since you sit wherever you can find a seat.


These are only three of the 50+ vineyards found on the North Folk region of Long Island and I highly recommend you make the trip and explore the vineyards for yourself. Below is a map of all the vineyards to help you plan your own trip!



Ex. Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment